Sunday, November 8, 2009

My Life in Florida






大家好! 我叫江柔佩. And my English name is Rebekka! 我從美國,Florida來. I live in South Florida, near Miami! It’s just as hot as Taiwan, but the beach is beautiful. 我是16. I go to Pompano Beach High School in Florida. But this year my school is 崇光女中!

Many people ask me why I wanted to be an exchange student and why I wanted to come to Taiwan. Hmm sometimes it’s hard to explain, but I’ll try...
I love traveling and seeing new places. I think I’ve inherited that trait from my mom. She’s traveled around the world. She’s from Finland, so she’s been all over Europe and has lived in Germany and Thailand. Eventually she moved to the U.S as a tour guide and met my dad in Florida. Well when she was pregnant she decided she wanted to have me in Finland, so I was born in Lahti, Finland! I’ve lived in Florida for hmm 16 years, meaning I’m both a Finnish and American citizen. Anyway, we visit family and friends in Finland often, therefore when I decided that I wanted to be an exchange student, Europe wasn’t as intriguing as Asia (where I’ve never been to and the culture is so different!). Taiwan was my first choice in Asia. I don’t know why. I just like Taiwan. I think Chinese culture is very interesting. I thought that I would love it here, and I was right. 我爱台湾!

So in Taiwan, I live in Xindian on a mountain! In Florida, we don’t even have mountains! Florida is actually completely flat. And we’re at sea level, so we can’t have basements underground. But Taiwan has stores and malls completely underground! It’s so different than what I’m used to. My city in Florida is called Coconut Creek; it’s very suburban and you have to drive a car to get anywhere. When you’re 15 years old, you can get your learners permit and they when you’re 16 you can get a driver’s license. Right now, I still have my learners permit, so when I go back home I’ll get my license and maybe my dad will buy me a car J maybe…. Haha. Last year my mom and my friends drove me to school. We don’t have the MRT, because like I said, you can’t dig very far underground. I love traveling on the MRT here! It’s so cool!

I go to Pompano Beach High School. My school is very near the beach, less than a 5 minute drive. My school is unique in Florida, because I only go 4 days a week! Monday through Thursday, from 7:00-3:00. To graduate high school, we have to have certain requirements (other than good grades), and one of them is at least 40 hours of community service hours, but if you do over 250, you get a special silver cord award. So on Fridays, many students volunteer. I volunteer at my old elementary school in the mornings, in a First grade classroom. I love little kids, they’re so cute!

Hmm, I didn’t say that my full name is Rebekka Ariella Katariina Flam. It’s very long. In English-speaking countries, we have a first name, a middle name, and a last name (family name). But I have two middle names. Anyway, we go by our first name, so call me Rebekka or 柔佩! <3

No comments:

Post a Comment